Yesterday my iPhone emitted a terrible sound from my pocket, one I’d never heard before. It turned out to be warning me of an impending “blizzard” coming to Arizona.
Yep, this morning the snow level, which usually stays well above 4000 feet, dipped down low enough that we have gotten considerable snow here at 2,500 feet. This is a rare event for Tucson, one which brings everyone out to look at the strange white stuff, take pictures, and slide around on the roadways. Having seen my share of snow from life in the northeast, I was not impressed until I saw it decorating the Caravel, and then I succumbed to the temptation to take a few pictures myself. I really don’t know why. I have lots of pictures of the Caravel buried in deep snow from Vermont, but I took a few more anyway.
There’s a little electric heater in the Caravel to keep it from freezing at night, and that makes the interior cozy enough for me to keep working on the plumbing project. I had run out of Teflon plumber’s tape yesterday, and I needed to ponder the complexities of the next major phase, so I paused the project overnight.
Today, with large, wet snowflakes pattering on the aluminum skin, I got back inside to figure out what I’ve been mentally calling “the dreaded closet manifold.” One of the narrow bathroom closets had housed a strange collection of plumbing intersections, and it was all wedged into a space only about 1 foot wide and three feet deep. This made just reaching the plumbing a difficult task, since I don’t fit into spaces that small and my arms aren’t that long.
In rebuilding this rat’s nest of plumbing I wanted to design something that would be much easier to access and service in the future. There was a shutoff valve that could only be reached if the gaucho cushions were removed, for example. The city water fill lacked a check valve and a pressure regulator, so it needed wholesale replacement but couldn’t be accessed without disassembling half the bathroom. Much of my time was spent figuring out ways to remove the whole mess before I could even get started on building a new system.
Eventually, with lots of struggling, cutting, use of extension tools, and even duct tape, I got the plumbing out. A neat new plumbing manifold was designed after lots of headscratching. You can see it below.
Although it doesn’t look like much, this little bit solves several problems:
- It connects the water pump, city water fill, toilet, and main cold water line to the rest of the trailer.
- It fits in the exact center of the available closet space, on the floor, with room to swing the shut-off valve if needed.
- Nearly all of it can be easy accessed from the door without requiring the help of a small person.
It took Eleanor and I about 10 minutes to crimp all the fittings once I had the basic layout measured and cut. In this type of job, it’s definitely a “measure twice, cut once” situation. Actually, being a newbie to this, I measured about four times for each piece. So although you may scoff, I regard this little bit of plumbing as a work of art.
Getting it into place was another matter. I could easily make one of the connections, but for the two low elbows I needed four hands to hold everything in the right position when crimping. Eleanor was recruited. At one point she had to wedge herself into the closet, because she’s thinner than me. And I’m not particularly big, so you can get an idea of how tight it was.
And now that part is done. I won’t rest easy until we pressurize the system and verify there are no leaks, but I’ve done everything I can to ensure that it will be perfect.
So now onto the next phase. Believe it or not, the plumbing project is almost half done. We have gone from the fresh water tank to the bathroom, which means the water pump, winterization valve, and toilet are connected. I still have to rig up the new city water fill, water heater, and both sinks. (The Caravel doesn’t have a separate shower connection, since it uses a takeoff from the bathroom sink.)
Time elapsed so far is probably about eight hours, not counting trips to the hardware store or pre-planning. I think that’s not bad for a first effort. I’m actually looking forward to tackling the under-sink areas and the water heater, as (again) they are a mess of stressed connections, all of which are in the wrong place.
I discovered today the real danger of doing this and blogging it: my Airstream friends might ask me for help with their trailers. Well, let me say this:
- I’m still definitely not an expert.
- You can borrow my tools.