This week we’re making a big push toward getting the Mercedes 300D sorted out, and I’m really pumped about it.
For nearly a month I’ve been anticipating the arrival of Pierre Hedary, the young Mercedes guru from Florida who I’ve known for a few years. Rather than taking the slow road to sorting out the mechanical issues of the old car, Pierre and I have been planning this intense three-day repair session so that the car will be ready to go—anywhere— by Monday. It’s the crash-diet version of Mercedes repair.
I wouldn’t even attempt this if the car weren’t basically sound. Although the task list is long, I was driving the car daily before I removed the interior, so I have had a chance to verify that it has “good bones,” meaning that it isn’t just a bottomless money pit. It just needs a bunch of maintenance. So for the past three weeks I’ve been identifying what the car needs (sharing photos with Pierre), and buying lots of parts.
I also wouldn’t attempt this if I didn’t have a lot of faith in Pierre. Flying a mechanic across the country is a big investment. He has to be extraordinarily competent in his specialty, unflappable, realistic, and fast, to make the investment worthwhile. Today, after about ten hours of work, it’s clear that he is all of those things. He’s sort of the Mercedes version of Super Terry, but taller.
We set him up in the Airstream guest house last night, right next to the car. This morning we both “clocked in” at 7:38 a.m. and began work. I already had the car set up on jack stands, with all four wheels removed, and most of the interior is still sitting on the back patio, so access to everything is easy. I also arranged all the parts by car system, brought all my tools, and set up various things we’d need: shop light, tarps, trash barrel, garden hose, wash basin, etc. The carport is now a functioning shop.
Here’s what Pierre did today (I played go-fer, assistant, and parts cleaner most of the time):
- air conditioning overhaul with new compressor, drier, expansion valve, hose insulation, and R-134a
- fixed a climate control actuator inside the dash
- cooling system overhaul with radiator, water pump, thermostat, one hose, and fluid
- replaced all four belts
Everything went well, and at the end I had air conditioning that was blowing out at 46 degrees on a 74 degree day, while the engine was idling. (It should do a little better at speed.) We did a few more tweaks to squeeze out a little more cooling performance and then wrapped up. It was a full ten hour day, with 90 minutes for lunch and parts shopping. This was an experience that Pierre described as “fun.” He’s a guy who really likes his work.
Of course, it didn’t all go to plan. We discovered a few parts that I thought were leaking or faulty really weren’t. That was good news. We also found a couple of things that I didn’t catch, like a bad relay, and questionable upper control arms in the suspension. Fortunately, Pierre is the sort of guy who has suspension parts in his luggage, just in case. Overall, we’re doing pretty well.
Tomorrow we start by installing new engine mounts, then go on to valve adjustment, then start the four-wheel brake overhaul. I’m particularly looking forward to those jobs because I want to learn how to do them myself. I don’t need to; it just seems like an opportunity to learn something new. The hands-on time with the Mercedes brakes may serve me well someday when I need to do a disc brake repair on the Airstream.
It’s great to see the car coming back to its original performance. It’s also fun to have friends dropping in to watch. Today we were visited by my friend Rob, neighbor Mike, and Eleanor at various points. Brett called in to see how it was going as well. I’m expecting another guy to drop in tomorrow. And most people want to help. It’s a version of Tom Sawyer whitewashing the fence.
If everything goes well, we will wrap up Sunday afternoon, bolt in a couple of seats, and take the car for a celebratory drive up the Catalina Highway. Stay tuned.