I mentioned in the previous blog that our 1968 Airstream Caravel is a bit of a hangar queen. I’ve come to accept that, viewing it as (a) an heirloom for Emma to use someday; (b) an investment vehicle (so far a spectacularly bad one, since we have more invested in it than market value); (c) an interesting ongoing project to advance my general “handyman” education.
The last rationalization is probably the best one. The Caravel has advanced my education in woodworking and plumbing in particular. Someday I may even put those skills to use in the house, although I never seem to be as motivated to work on house projects. Houses are sort of boring—they don’t move.
In the next few weeks the Caravel will get some more attention, this time in the area of the A-frame. I bought a replacement hitch jack for it because … well … to be honest, because of a long series of stupid events. Let’s see if I can get this all straight:
- Last February the propane regulator began to leak, so I bought a replacement.
- The replacement regulator had the red/green “flags” which indicate if the tank is empty or full on the “front” of the regulator, but on the Caravel the regulator is supposed to mount facing the rear. This meant that the flags were not visible. The spare tire blocked any view of them.
- Rather than returning the regulator for one with the flags on top because that would be “too much trouble,” (and therein lies my big mistake) I decided to mount it facing forward. This was more complicated than it would seem. The job required numerous hardware store trips, a longer main hose, replacement “pigtail” hoses to the tanks, a pair of brass elbow fittings, four stainless screws, and numerous washers so that the mounting hardware would fit correctly.
- With that job finally done, I discovered that the handle of the manual crank hitch jack collided with the new regulator, making it very difficult to raise and lower the trailer’s tongue, so I decided to replace it with a power hitch jack.
- When I attempted to remove the original hitch jack, I discovered that it had been welded into place.
And that’s where I am today. I didn’t have time to deal with it back in April and May, when I was doing a lot of work on the Safari, so I set the problem aside. Now that I’m back—and lacking a tow vehicle—the only way to proceed is to get a mobile welder out here to cut out the old hitch jack and then re-weld the necessary plate for the new one. I’ve made a few calls and should have someone out here in the next week or two.
If I were smarter I would have simply returned the propane regulator for the right one, and avoided this entire mess. This debacle is going to end up costing about $400 counting all the miscellaneous parts, welding, and jack. But at least I can console myself with the knowledge that now I’ve got a fancy power hitch jack on the trailer that we never use.
In the interest of continual investment for little actual return, I have also taken the dinette table out of the trailer to have it re-made. The table we have currently was overbuilt by a well-meaning friend and weighs far too much to be easily handled when converting it into bed mode. The same shop that built the black walnut countertop for the Safari a few months ago will duplicate the Caravel dinette top in poplar, which should be considerably lighter. I’ll shape it, finish it, and attach the hardware in the next few weeks.
The plumbing project that I began last spring is about 80% complete. With the hot weather this time of year, I’m not inclined to go out to the carport to finish that job, even though the Caravel has air conditioning. It feels like a job to be done in the fall, when we return from Airstream travel and the Tucson weather is perfect for projects. Around here, that means November and early December.
Someday soon this trailer is going to be absolutely perfect. I’ll have to take it somewhere.